20-20-20 rule can increase your screen gazing time
There is no such day when you avoid looking at a personal computer, laptop, or mobile screen. But this results in computer vision syndrome or digital eye strain. It is important to take breaks in between and relax your eyes. In the digital learning era, it becomes tough to do so. However, you can follow a 20-20-20 rule to prevent eye-related issues.
What is the 20-20-20 rule?
The rule means to take a break every 20 minutes and look at something which is 20 feet away for 20 seconds. It is an eye exercise which various doctors suggest performing daily. This is the digital eye strain treatment for protecting your vision. Those who spend multiple hours on smartphone or computer screens must follow it.
Above all, the 20-20-20 rule can help in enhancing your digital learning time. Imagine you are holding a heavy-weight object. How will you feel when you leave it while putting your arms down? Quite relaxed. Isn’t it?
The same applies when you take a few minute’s breaks from viewing your laptop p or mobile screen.
Benefits of the rule
- Helps with eye pain covid and dry eye – Research shows that eyes need 20 seconds to relax. Once you start taking regular break, you will find the changes in your eyes. Your blink rate improves, eyes become refreshing and there is no dry eye issue. You can try app such as Eye Care 20-20-20 which gives you reminder about taking breaks. According to the reports involving 795 university students suggests that those who periodically refocused on distant objects when using the computer had fewer symptoms of computer vision syndrome. Such steps helps in treating redness, neck pain, backache or eye irritation.
- 20-20-20 can help in learning skills online – A lot of students find it difficult to learn through online classes or complete their online projects. This is because they are unable to focus much on laptop or mobile. With the 20-20-20 rule it becomes easy to understand the online lectures. It is therefore good to get up in between the online classes and drink a glass of water or stretch your body.
- Improves the productivity – Due to a break of 2o minutes, students energy burns off. It helps in combating distractions at the time of study. This increases productivity of the students. They cannot grasp prolonged instructions. But break of few minutes can do wonders. they will not feel the screen fatigue.
- Increases online working time for professionals, freelancers and corporates– After pandemic, remote working has become common. People are hooked on their laptops. With the 20-20-20 rule, professionals can give proper time to the online work. They can work for longer hours and with proper concentration. Also, one is able to meet the deadlines. In the end, there is less stress and more work.
How to relieve eye strain using the 20-20-20 rule?
Suppose you are learning digital skills online for too long. Go for a 20-second break. This you must perform every 20 minutes to avoid eye pain covid. You can also look at the object which is 20 feet away for eye exercise.
Below you can apply some strategies for digital eye strain treatment.
- In your smartphone there is an option to set up an alarm for 20 minutes. This works as a reminder.
- Choose the target which is 20 feet away.
- You can find anything outside your window which is 20 feet away. Look at it for 20 seconds while taking 20 minutes break.
- Another option is closing your eyes for 20 to 30 seconds and relax. This you can do every 20 minutes.
- Take a walk in the room or outside for 20 minutes. It keeps you more active as sitting for longer time infront of the laptop affects your health.
If you follow the above steps, 20-20-20 can help in learning skills online without impacting your eyes.
Final Outlook and the 20-20-20 rule
The 20-20-20 rule works well because it reduces screen viewing time. This is the reason why experts recommend it. You can perform various other methods to improve screen gazing time. This includes keeping your screen clean, blink often or sit away from the computer screen. Once you know how to relieve eye strain, working or learning is no more uncomfortable.
If your child is facing eye pain or any other strain, apply the rule soon. It will enhance their learning.